Sunday, March 3, 2013

Conquering Fears

First off I know, I know. It has been far too long. I am terrible at blogging. I will try to improve, 
I promise.

Okay so now to the story at hand.

This may be hard for some to imagine, or maybe not, but I am horrible at handling anything medical. Well,  mainly anything that has to do with, large needles, x-rays, blood, scars, scabs, internal organs, etc...in picture form, story form or in just good ole real life situations. I know, why am I on a floating hospital? I ask that question from time to time and so far I think the answer is, God has a great sense of humor...oh and maybe He wants to stretch me and help me conquer fears. Due to the latter I decided to view my first surgery on Friday and here is how it went.
 I was so excited, confident, and a tad nervous...mainly confident that at this time in my life I can totally handle blood. So, here is me giving the OR two thumbs up.


 I stood strong for 5 minutes, but then an incredible amount of heat radiated through my body and a lump appeared in my throat. I booked it out of the room...


And found a chair and my water. I guzzled water like never before (sadly I actually missed my mouth at first and dumped half of it down the front of me...it did cool me off a bit though so Yay!)


After a bit I began to feel confident again and so, is said "take two" and walked myself back into the room.


 But then that same feeling hit me and I quickly excused myself from the room again. This time water wasn't going to do the trick...I needed sweets. So, I ignored that for lent I gave up sweets and devoured some sweets. That and a quick prayer seemed to do the trick...also I can be a tad stubborn and was determined to finish watching this surgery.



The third times the charm. This time around my mind set was completely different and I found myself intrigued and in awe. I wanted to know every little procedure performed and get up close. I was no longer afraid or sick. I was able to watch an 8 year old boy's life be transformed through a surgery repairing his bi-lateral cleft lip. The care of the doctors and nurses was astounding. I still find myself amazed daily at the amazing work and love volunteers from around the world bring to the ship and the country of Guinea.

Okay so more updates to soon come...like I said, I promise.

Thank you all for your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment